O’Malley Plastering / RKD Architects: Belvedere House, Belvedere College
Address : Belvedere College, 6 Great Denmark Street, Dublin 1
‘Belvedere House was completed in 1786 for George Augustus Rochfort, 2nd Earl of Belvedere. The house was built to the designs of architect Robert West and features the work of renowned stuccodore Michael Stapleton. In 1841 the building was purchased by the Jesuits and became home to Belvedere College.
RKD Architects was appointed by Belvedere College to restore the 18th century house back into full use capable of facilitating large functions, meetings, staff work/recreational areas and visitors’ accommodation. One of the most powerful features of the house is the stucco work on the stairway and first floor reception rooms. O’Malley Plastering’s brief, in conjunction with RKD architects and conservation specialist David Slattery RIP, was to remove 200 years of paint without damaging the plaster, it was the first time Stapleton’s work was exposed on this scale.
Hi-visibility clothing is required for this site visit.
The AAI is an entirely volunteer run non-profit organisation. Membership of the AAI is free and open to any member of the public. Members typically pay an entry fee to lectures and site visits. The standard entry fee for this event is €5 which contributes towards essential overhead costs of the organisation, with the option of purchasing an official CPD receipt for an additional €5.