Time: 1pm – 2:30pm
Location: UCC Student Hub, Cork
Meeting Point: Gaol Bridge Entrance to UCC, link to GoogleMaps location
No PPE required
Tickets from Eventbrite via link.
The New Student Hub Building at University College Cork provides a new coherent home which centralises student activities and services currently spread across 25 different campus locations. The brief and building organisation aim to achieve cross promotion of student services, creating a hub for student activities, a sense of ownership and identity that reduces mobility problems and facilitates an efficient enjoyable service for students.
The site has a key location at the convergence of the network of routes through the Historic Campus. The proposal is designed to embody the dynamic character of a contemporary Student University Building while respecting the particular historic context of UCC.
- A large canopy signals the entrance and provides a new covered external space for the University
- A new stone “arm” encloses a welcoming Market Hall, an active space where all life happens.
- Bridges and balconies crisscross and flank the Market Hall, activating and animating this student led technology enabled adaptable space.
- A light filled structure, raised above the Market Hall, a new University landmark, showcases UCC at the forefront of innovation.
- Landscaped courtyards provide new informal settings to facilitate student led activities.
The design is carefully assembled to make one coherent proposal from a complex set of interdependent component parts. Analysis of the context and a close working relationship with the University in establishing the brief for the building has uniquely influenced the design approach.